You’ve come to the right website if you are looking for different ways to get the vomit smell out of your car. Let’s dig into the details without further ado.
You’re likely aware of the term motion sickness. Traveling in your car might cause this sickness for some, especially children, and they end up vomiting.
Vomit has a pungent and intense smell. It can become way too complex to get rid of this smell, particularly inside your vehicle. Therefore, parents should be more aware of the tips and methods to remove that puke smell in the car.
You can use some store-bought liquids/gadgets for this purpose, but sometimes they might feel inefficient or pricy.
Also, it is likely that you run out of these products. Whatever the case, you do not have to worry because we have listed some basic methods that use products available at home.
Try out these easy home remedies to eliminate the vomit smell from your car. Make sure to first remove the excessive vomit with a paper towel or by scrubbing that particular area. Also, wash out the region with liquid soap or a dishwashing solution before trying any of the following methods.
Time to get that vomit smell out of your car
Method 1 – Using the Vinegar and water
White vinegar is a natural chemical for eliminating intense smells and odours. It is available at any supermarket or any other store. Removing odour with white vinegar is a well-known and quite an old method. It will work out on any seat or carpet.
- A bowl
- Clean gloves
- White vinegar
- Any piece of cloth
- First of all, take any plastic or glass bowl and put on clean gloves.
- Mix two parts of water with one part of 5% white vinegar (you can also use any other vinegar).
- Now, take a piece of cloth and dip it into the vinegar solution.
- Squeeze out the excess solution and place this cloth piece on the vomit area.
- Let this piece of cloth sit for ten to fifteen minutes.
- Now, rub this piece over that area and let it dry completely.
- If the smell does not go out, repeat the procedure two to three times.
You can also put the bowl of vinegar solution into the car, and it will absorb the smell through the evaporation process. However, this process will consume more time. Also, you can spray this vinegar solution on the affected area of the car. Ensure to open car windows during the whole procedure so that the smell fully gets out of it.
Method 2 – Using Baking Soda and Cornstarch
Baking soda and cornstarch are always the first choices when dealing with the vomit smell. They help out in absorbing the odour and also to lessen the stains. It is a bit messy but a pretty inexpensive solution to get the vomit smell out of your car.
- Baking soda
- Corn starch
- Vacuum cleaner
- First of all, take a considerable amount of baking soda.
- Sprinkle it over your car seats, belts, or carpets.
- Let it sit for several hours.
- It will absorb all the stinky smell and also dry out the vomit patches.
- Now, grab your car vacuum cleaner and vacuum all the baking soda away.
- You can also do the same procedure with cornstarch as a substitute for baking soda.
Instead of sprinkling the baking soda in the car, you can also mix it into the water to form a uniform solution. Afterwards, take any piece of cloth and soak it into the baking soda solution. Place this cloth piece over the seat and let it sit for fifteen minutes. Let the patch dry out completely, and you are good to go.
Method 3 – Using Enzyme Odour Remover
An enzyme odour remover possesses natural enzymes that destroy the smell-causing bacteria. They fit best to the car seats and carpets. They are available at any drugstore or online store.
- Enzyme Odour cleaner
- Paper towel or a cleaning rag
- Clean gloves
- First of all, buy a specific enzymatic cleaner after reading all the instructions written on it.
- Wear your clean gloves and spray the cleaner over the carpet and belts.
- Pour a small amount of it over the seats if the vomit was on them.
- Leave it for an hour or two.
- Take a paper towel or a cleaning rag and dry out the excessive enzyme odour remover.
- The vomit smell will be gone, else repeat the entire process.
Method 4 – Using Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide also works as an absorbent for vomit smell. This mild antiseptic chemical prevents the growth of harmful micro-organisms and reduces the disgusting smell. It is also available at any local drugstore.
- Hydrogen Peroxide
- Paper towel or any absorbent cloth piece
- Clean gloves
- Put on your clean gloves to avoid any mishap.
- Take out 3% hydrogen peroxide solution and soak the affected seat or carpet in this solution.
- Leave it here for a few minutes.
- Now, absorb it with a paper towel or cloth piece.
- Repeat the process if needed.
Method 5 – Using Steam Cleaner
A steam cleaner also removes the vomit smell from the car and is available online or in stores. It doesn’t just get rid of the smell, the steam also helps in cleaning the stains of the vomit.
- Steam Cleaner
- Paper towel
- Fill water into the steam cleaner and press the ‘ON’ button.
- Move it over the surfaces of seats, carpets, and belts of the car in different directions.
- Absorb the excess moisture from the seat with a paper towel.
These cheap, easy, and homemade ways will get the vomit smell out of your car and make it smell fresh again. You can always go for other methods such as using an air freshener, club soda, charcoal, carpet cleaner, fabric softener, etc.