A car battery is the most unpredictable component of a car. It is not uncommon to jump into your car only to jump out again because the battery is discharged. Fortunately, dead or discharged batteries are no longer a hassle and can be fixed easily with a car jump starter. This article will guide your options and narrow down your choice to the best car jump starters on the market.
What is a Car Jump Starter?
A jump starter is a portable device used to boost a dead car battery. It emits a large amount of energy that can boost the engine of the car. This is done easily by connecting the positive and negative terminals of the dead or discharged battery to an external power source.
Initially, jump cables were used to connect the working battery of one car to the dead battery of another car. However, with technological advancement, you no longer need a boost from another car.
Jumpstarters are like vehicle power banks. They can be charged and used to recharge a car battery without depending on another car.
Benefits of Having a Car Jump Starter
It is dangerous and frustrating to have to flag down a stranger because your battery is flat. Sometimes, it is also inconvenient to miss your schedule because of your car battery. This is why a jump starter is an important piece of equipment for your car. The advantages of having one include:
- It eliminates dependence on another car or power source
- Jumpstarters are portable and easy to use
- They are affordable for their value
- A jump starter is very reliable and versatile
How to Use a Car Jumpstarter
- First, turn the car off and remove the key from the ignition.
- Identify the positive (P, POS or +) and Negative (N, NEG OR -) terminals on your battery.
- Identify the positive and negative clips, which is usually red and black respectively, on the jump starter
- Connect the red clip to the positive terminal on the battery
- Connect the black clamp to an unpainted, non-moving and clean metal part of the car.
- Once the jumper cables are firmly in place, turn on the jump starter
- Then turn the car on. If the car doesn’t start, wait for another 2-3 minutes and try again.
- After the engine starts, turn the jump starter off
- Remove the negative (black) clip followed by the positive (red) clip.
Precautions to Observe When Using a Jump Starter
- Ensure that your jump starter is fully charged
- Never leave the car on or the key in the ignition
- Keep the charger as far away from the battery as the length of the cable will allow
- When connecting the black clip, choose an area of the car frame or engine block, far away from the battery, carburettor and fuel line
- Make sure the jump starter is off before attempting to connect the jumper clamps to the vehicle battery
- Do not allow positive and negative clamps to come in contact with each other
- With both the car and jump starter turned off, connect the jumper cables to the appropriate terminals
- Do not use the jump starter at high temperature
- Do not store your jump starter in your car because it is a high-temperature environment
- Keep it in a cool dry space when not in use
How to Choose the Best Car Jump Starter
The market is swarming with a lot of car jump starters, so you can’t waltz in and out of a store with the first jump starter you see on the shelf.
When looking for the best jump starter, the first thing you need to consider is the size of your car engine.
Check the product information for the maximum engine size it can power and its compatibility with your engine. Other features you should consider include;
- High capacity: The larger the battery capacity, the more times it will be able to jump-start your engine. So, you are looking for a car jump starter with high battery capacity, one that is compatible with your car, yet portable.
- Fast charging and long standby time: The best jump starters take about an average of 5 hours to charge and can jump-start your engine multiple times after charging. It should also be able to last for months when on standby.
- Safety Technology: A lot of precaution is required when using a jump starter. The best products come with advanced safety technology such as overcurrent, overload, and overvoltage protection amongst others.
- Emergency light: Look for a car jump starter that comes with a bright LED flashlight in case your battery starts acting up at night. You have no use of a jump starter that you cannot use in the dark. Most jump starters come with built-in LED emergency lights for dark situations, SOS and strobe light.
If you can find any jump starter with these basic features then you have found the best car jump starter. Alternatively, you could easily choose from any of our recommended brands below.
GOOLOO Upgraded Car Jump Starter
A complete GOOLOO Car Jump Starter comes with 1 x GOOLOO Jump Starters GP37-Plus, 1 x 12v battery clamp, 1 x wall charger, 1 x car charger, 1 x USB cable, 1 x Storage Case.
It has an advanced safety feature that includes, over-current protection, overload protection, overvoltage protection and overcharge protection. With its semblance of a power bank, it can easily fit into the glove box of your car.
Its 800A peak current is suitable for any 12V car battery. This portable charger is easy to use and is affordable at 76.49 CAD.
- Enough power to jump start 7.0L gas or 5.5L diesel engine
- Quick charging USB ports for phones and other compatible equipment
- Emergency LED light with a flashlight, strobe light and SOS light
- Advanced safety technology
DBPower Car Jump Starter
The DBPower Car Jump Starter has an intelligent cable which is very easy to use and safe. Its safety features include overcurrent protection, short circuit protection, overload protection, over-voltage protection and overcharge protection. A complete package includes 1 x DBPOWER Jump Starter DJS50, intelligent jumper clamps, 1 x 12V wall charger, 1 x 12V car charger and a user guide.
- Easy to read battery percentage
- Fast charging
ABOX TrekPow Car Jump Starter
The TrekPow Car Jump Starter raised the bar with its 4-battery lamination process, which enables it to deliver 3-5 times enhanced cranking power. A complete package comes with 1 x TrekPow G22 Jumpstarter, 1 x smart jumper clamps, 1 x cigarette Lighter adapter, 1 x type c Charging cable, 1 x portable carrying case, 1 x user manual.
- Innovative Lithium Technology
- Extra safe with a built-in intelligent protector
- Fire-resistant shell
- All metal and ergonomically made clamps
NOCO GB40 Portable Car Jump Starter
With a single charge, the GB40 model can conveniently start 12V dead batteries up to 20 times. It’s reverse polarity and spark-proof feature makes it very safe to use.
The 100-lumen LED flashlight has 7 light modes. Low, medium, high, flashing, strobe and emergency SOS to suit your every need. Furthermore, it’s USB ports can be used to charge your smartphones and tablets.
This package comes with 1 x GB40 jump starter pack, 1 x heavy-duty battery clamps, 1 x USB charging cable, 1 x 12-volt USB car charger all in a microfiber storage bag.
- Fast charging
- Very large battery capacity
- Can last for a year without charging
BEATIT Portable Car Lithium Jump Starter
With a large battery capacity, the BEATIT Car Jump Starter can jump-start your engine up to 30 times. It’s 16,500 mAh battery is compatible with all 12V gasoline and diesel engines.
It can charge all your portable electronic devices with its dual USB port. It is compact and portable enough to fit into your glove box. Emergency situations and night journeys are easier with its 100-lumen flashlight.
- Advanced technologyLithium-ion battery
- Dual USB port and very bright LED flashlight
- Portable and versatile
- Advanced safety protection
Imazing Car Jump Starter
Safe, fast and powerful is the perfect way to describe the Imazing IM25 Lithium-ion Jump Starter. It jump-starts your flat battery in 1-3 seconds and monitors your battery health.
Lightweight, compact and easy to hold this jump starter can fit into your car glove box. It is ideal for outdoor activities and travelling because of its bright built-in LED flashlight with SOS and strobe functions.
- Built-in integrated Voltmeter
- Portable and lightweight
- Bright and multifunctional LED flashlight
- Safe and very fast charging
With any of the above-listed car jump starters, you can rest assured that you have the best car jump starter. A car jump starter should not be a piece of alternative equipment. Its portability and ease of use ensure that it can serve you whenever and wherever you need it.
Read the next post: The Beginners Guide to Best Portable Waste Tanks