Seat belts are essential when it comes to ensuring safety when handling any automotive. The main issue is not that cars don’t have seat belts; the issue is the annoying situation when the seat belt won’t retract.
You need to know how to fix a seatbelt that won’t retract to minimize those annoying and dangerous situations.
In the world we live in, most people must sometimes speed behind the wheel commuting to workplaces. Seat belts come in handy to ensure safety or reduce the impact of unlucky accidents on the people in a car.
Car owners need to have quality seatbelts like Lotyes Universal Belts that will retract all the time quickly.
However, no matter how good a seatbelt is, sometimes it doesn’t retract due to different reasons. What will you do if your car seatbelts won’t retract? Will you go looking for an expert, or will you resolve the problem yourself? Well, it doesn’t matter whether you do it yourself or you get an expert to do it for you. Whatever way you choose, there are tips you can use to fix the seatbelt.
Before heading to fix the seatbelt, you need to know the source of the problem. The main reasons why seatbelts won’t retract are either the retractor has a malfunction, or the seat belt has a twisted webbing. There are different approaches to use in these two situations.
Fixing a seatbelt with twisted webbing
Even for quality seat belts like Toyi universal seatbelt, having a twisted webbing is inevitable. Twisted webbing will occur when the dirt accumulates on the seatbelt fabric.
The good thing is that you can restore the functionality of a seatbelt with a twisted webbing. You can get rid of the webbing by lubricating or cleaning the seatbelt fabric. To resolve the issue of webbing, use the following steps.
- Spread a towel on the seat to prevent damage by water spills
- Unbuckle the seatbelt that won’t retract
- Pull the seat belt until it cannot retract any more
- Use a laundry pinch to hold the fabric to the loop
- Look for any signs of twisted webbing
- Dip the belt fabric in warm water with detergent and leave it for sometime
- You can also use wet wipes to clean the belt fabric at this point
- Use a dryer or air dry the seatbelt fabric
- Take a spray lubricant and spray both sides of the loop
- Remove the laundry pinch to test if the belt will retract.
Fixing a malfunctioning retractor
If all the other approaches of fixing the seatbelt fail, then it means that you should start fixing your retractor. The only good technique to use here is replacing the retractor parts for a broken retractor that won’t function properly.
There are many quality retractor parts like the Hyundai locking retractor cover readily available in the market. The process of replacing a retractor is easy when you follow simple steps. However, you can always get an expert to replace the retractor. However, the process is still the same.
- Pull and hold the seatbelt loop to reach a screw that leads to the retractor.
- Use a screwdriver or any other tools that can unfasten the screw. Unfasten it carefully, such that you don’t break anything
- Once you unfasten the screw, you will easily spot the retractor
- Detach the connectors that lead to the retractor. The connectors are usually regular wires.
- The retractor mechanism will be connected with a fastener. To remove the retractor, you will need to remove the fastener using a screwdriver.
- Now you can remove the retractor together with the seatbelt loop
- Once the old retractor is out, pull it out from the seatbelt loop
- Replace the old retractor with a new one. Ensure that the new retractor has the same features as the old one ensure that it fits perfectly
- Once the new retractor is in place, put back the retractor together with the loop at its position and screw back the retractor bolt, followed by the loop bolt
- With that, you can now test if the retractor functions properly
ProTip Takeaway: The secret to fixing a seatbelt that won’t retract is lubricating the plastic loop. If that first technique doesn’t work, then the following technique will be cleaning the seatbelt fabric. Look for different ways you can use to clean the fabric. If all does not go well, it’s time to check the retractor. Clean the seatbelt retractor if it is still in good shape and replace it if it is broken.
The seatbelt can also fail to retract if it is too old. If cleaning and replacing of parts doesn’t work, then it’s time to replace the seat belt. If your seat belts need replacement, then today is your lucky day. There are great seatbelt models like Heart Horse universal seatbelt that you can get at the market at affordable prices.
Fasten your seatbelt and be safe
It would be best if you never worry because your seatbelt won’t retract. Reason being that this is a fixable issue. Determine why the seatbelt won’t retract, get the tools ready and let’s get that seatbelt functioning again.
The process of fixing a seatbelt that won’t retract may seem tricky in writing, but it is a simple process when you put it into practice. If the task is too challenging for you, you can always get a professional to fix the problem.
If your belt is too old, consider replacing it with the best seatbelt, RASTP seatbelt.